Friday 31 December 2010

CNC Milled stretchers


These are the first real loco parts that I cut on my CNC milling machine.

It was a huge learning curve for me to get this all working but the parts were very satisfying once cut.

The cycle time for the first one was about 3 hours, the second was done in just over an hour.

This was all cut from a 25mm slab of mild steel and created a bucket load of swarf.

The tabs were hand hacksawed out to release the parts and a touch of the file to complete.

Whilst this was an interesting exercise, ultimately it was not necessary, the parts very closely match the castings and I like the look of them but I now realise they could easily have been done as simple profiles in solid plate or the relevant thickness.

Ho Hum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers